Mission Statement of Our PD Committee:

"To coordinate and promote professional development opportunities based on direction from the superintendent and professional staff." (May, 2006)

Thursday, November 6, 2008

Summary of Staff Development (PD Feedback)

via Lynda Simard (SVRSS Teacher):

"Summary of Staff Development

Name: Lynda Simard
Session: Grade 9 & 10 Math Inservice by Pearson
Location: Regina Date: Oct. 23/08

I would recommend Trevor Brown. He can be contacted at tbrown@edu.yorku.ca.

Summary:
The session was broken up between 3 speakers. The first was Trevor Brown. He spoke about using problem solving to catch students attention to a topic. After speaking with Carol Larson who saw him for a whole day, I think he was just getting started when his time was up. I’d like to hear the end of his “story”. I’d like to see where he takes the problem solving to and how he incorporates that into a whole program. One lady commented that she saw him for a 5-day session that really painted the whole picture. The other two speakers had some good ideas that I could incorporate today, but they weren’t dynamic speakers and I’m not sure I would want to attend any additional session with them.

I will be sharing this information with other math teachers on staff as we plan for our new curriculum in the Grade 9 and 10 areas.

I am going to start to incorporate relevant problems that will allow all students to gain or share some understanding of the topic as an introduction or summary of a topic."

Thanks loads to Lynda for the effort put forth to create this summary.

No comments: